And Now on a Personal Note ~

Today is a rather personal issue that I’ll be sharing.  Personal, but one that I suspect many of you have experienced.  I batted it back and forth, on blogging it.  But then while talking to my sister, her words were, “You should blog this.”  The next part I struggle with is how much to share and how to go about it.  I have done a journal the past couple of weeks.  But I’ve decided for now, not to bore you with that.

A week ago Saturday, hubby and I were getting up early to drive to Enid, Oklahoma, to see our kids.  I reached over to turn off the alarm clock and my right side hurt.  It felt bruised and sore.  That’s when I discovered a large knot in my breast.  I am normally calm and matter of fact when medical issues arise.  But I was so caught off guard, I just blurted out, “I have a lump and it’s huge and it hurts.”  A great way to start the conversation in the morning!

On Monday, I called my doctor’s office and frankly, was frustrated that no one was available to talk to me.  The receptionist heard my issue, was kind, but all she could do was make an appointment for me and tell me, “someone will call you later”.  I seemed to be the only one feeling an urgency.  My appointment was not until Thursday afternoon.  When Thursday finally arrived, my doctor said the mass had “several tendencies” and that was good.  She scheduled a diagnostic mammo for the following Monday.  I couldn’t go to my normal place in town, as they were booked, so she was going to send me to a place in Tulsa.

Monday afternoon, my hubby cleared his schedule so that he can take me to Hillcrest Medical Center.  It was a women’s center, so they could really cater to my specific needs, right?  It’s near downtown Tulsa, parking is sparse.  But we did locate the building and once inside immediately  saw the Women’s Breast Care Center.  I was expecting pink and fluffy and caring people to great me in my despair.  Nope.  Not at this place.  What I found was the sign-in sheet and no one there to greet or direct.  Eventually though, a militant woman in purple scrubs screams a name and says “Hall on the left, second chair.”  And if you don’t respond, she yells it again.  I was fortunate enough to get a lady that was filling in that day for my registration.  Once I engaged her in conversation, she was very sweet.  But we witnessed two employees being so rude and just plain mean to patients in this outer area.  Why?  It was all so unnecessary.  How hard is it to change your tone and smile?  Really?  Did they really think any of us wanted to be there any more than THEY did?

My assigned tech was an absolute sweetheart.  Since we were up close and personal (!) I was glad for that!  We talked about her little girls and my big boys and how tough it is to raise children.  After the radiologist read the film, he had them do an ultrasound.  A little later, the ultrasound tech came to tell me what the radiologist said, “It is probably a cyst and more than likely benign, but we need to do this again in about six months to compare films and check for changes”.   Would that set your mind at ease?  It didn’t mine, either.

So an hour and a half later after walking into this place, I walk out to the now, almost empty, waiting area where I can tell my hubby is imagining the worst.  I tell him what was relayed to me.  I feel his unease, too.   I tell him I never want to come back to this place.  He assures me that no matter what, he will take me every time.  That I will not be alone.

My doctor received the report and I talked to her yesterday.  I told her how rude and unwelcoming they were at this place and that I wanted future appointments at our regular place.  She apologized and said, “Maybe it was just an off day for them”.   You know what?  It was an off day for every one of us that had to be there that day.  I didn’t go in mean and unpleasant, though.  I was looking for a bit of professionalism and some reassurance.

I am healthy.  I have not had a lot of dealings with the medical profession.  The ones that I have had, with a couple of exceptions, have been good.  The medical field should not be without accountability and should also practice good customer service.  I CAN go somewhere else.

Please understand that this post is not written asking for any sympathy or “oh-no’s”.  I get that this is common and I am not alone in it.  I am writing out of  pure frustration because I know that many of you out there have dealt with crummy health “professionals” or could be dealing with them now.  We may not always get the “warm and fuzzy” treatment, but we should at least expect common courtesy and kindness.  Do you think that is asking too much???


So again I say, Be nice to people.  We never know what they may be going through ~ ♥

This entry was posted in Breast Cancer, Health care, Medical, Uncategorized, Women and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to And Now on a Personal Note ~

  1. Christi says:

    I will be very surprised if you don’t receive a lot of response to this post. I’m with you for sure; I don’t think it is asking too much to be treated with concern and respect. A little bit of TLC goes a long way and how hard is it really? Is this the way these professionals would want their mothers, sisters, etc. treated? I don’t think so. Thank you again Paula for bringing another “customer service” issue to the forefront. Medical professionals, listen up!

  2. HiKath says:

    Oh Paula.. I am so sorry. Brings back memories from 1995 when I went through similar ordeal. It was before they could biopsy and so I was sent straight to a surgeon who told me how nice it was that I had excess fat that could be pushed up and formed into a new breast if I needed it. My doc had to be put me on low dose valium for a week because I couldn’t stop throwing up. As it turns out, it was just a lump, it was benign. It still scared the hell out of me. Call me if you need anything. xoxo

    • I know that many women have and will experience this. So sorry to bring back icky memories for you, HiKath ~ I am good, but am just not happy with the “probablys” and “in a few months”. Plus, I am determined to bring my experience to the attention of this women center’s board. I want it to be better for future patients! ♥

  3. It was very disappointing to see the mistreatment of people. All ages and races. I can hold my own and stand up for myself, but some there could not. My hubby, like me, was in shock. Thanks, Christi ~ what is up with people?!?!? 😉

  4. Paula, I am so sorry for what you had to endure. I am reluctant to post, as we have never spoken out publicly, but I will now. I have a file about 1/4-1/2 inch thick that was sent registered mail to about a half dozen executives and agencies regarding the rude and negligent treatment my husband received at Hillcrest hospital. Let me preface this by saying Hillcrest is a big organization and “owns” many institutions. I believe them to all be run or managed seperately. I am speaking of the Main Hospital Downtown across from where you went. Apparently they have the same problems as where you went. HOWEVER the OK Heart Institute (A part of Hillcrest) is a fantastic facility, run an managed and staffed by fabulously trained, skilled and tender hearted people. Anyway…well let me see if I can paste the information. It is long and I apologize. Feel free to read it or not. This goes on every day in our hospitals. We have to be pro-active and responsible for our own care. We have a RIGHT to question the care we receive and a duty to make sure what we are receiving is proper care. And if we don’t receive proper care, we need to report that. ALSO, we learned that we can REFUSE discharge if we feel we are not ready to go home. Just because they are medical professionals, we should not feel intimidated or inferrior. It is our body, our life. Thank you for sharing your story. We have sat silent for too long. Feel free to delete this if it is too long! lol. I don’t know if it will condense, or go huge!

    ER & Hospitalization

    On Wednesday, September 7th, I brought my husband Bill to the Hillcrest Medical Center ER in Tulsa. He was in Atrial Fibrillation and was having trouble walking more than 5-10 feet without nearly passing out. He was weak and extremely dizzy. We had planned on taking him to the cardiologist later that afternoon, but I feared that he would have an accident before that time and he was in a dangerous and vulnerable state. We had been at the optometrist earlier for my eye appointment and I almost had to call for an ambulance.
    The ER knew he had to be admitted almost immediately and told us that, and then said they would be running some tests first. I was relieved to know they would be admitting him. We were very happy with the service in the ER. They were friendly, and seemed to be fairly knowledgeable, and despite the extremely busy environment did a fantastic job in our opinion. We repeated a lot of information, but that is understandable. Bill had PVC’s, a fluctuating blood pressure, was extremely dizzy, and had a fluctuating heart rate, which caused shortness of breath-but that was not a primary symptom.
    One problem we did have was because of elevated labs showing renal insufficiency, DESPITE the fact that we told them this was normal range as he was kidney transplant patient, he was admitted to Hillcrest. We requested Oklahoma Heart Hospital as he had an ongoing cardiac problem that was most symptomatic, and they refused. We requested this after he was upstairs and they also refused. Even though he was treated mostly by cardiologists, they kept refusing to put him in the Heart hospital. I still do not understand this. He is immunosuppressed and in a hospital with sick patients and has a heart condition. At least he was given a semi-private room.
    He was admitted to “5 tower” (5th floor). Was placed in the room and despite being told not to even go to the bathroom by himself, no one even came in room to check vitals, offer water, put him on a monitor, or even say hello for nearly 3 HOURS. Bill had not had anything to eat and only sips of water to drink since toast for breakfast and this was after 6 pm.
    The admitting nurse (forgive me, I forgot his name) came in and told us he was from another floor (he was filling in) and was from admitting. We did not understand the process that he was there to check us in to “hand us off” to the floor nurses so that someone would actually then start to care for Bill. Because he was from another floor and we had come from ER we thought it was an “admitting process” as he was discussing with us about trying to transfer him to the Heart hospital. He left and I approached the nurses’ station and asked when someone would be in to take care of my husband as we had been there for nearly 3 hours and no one had taken care of him, and he hadn’t eaten. The food service workers were taking the carts away at this point. They said “who is your husband?” and found a meal sitting on top of the cart they were getting ready to take away.
    As the admitting nurse came back in and explained the process, I apologized for the misunderstanding, not that it really had to be my place to apologize as someone should have been in there before that length of time, and it should have been explained to us. I did apologize none the less, as I had gotten upset and they had finally been checking on him, and asked him to apologize to the desk nurses for me and he did.
    Bill is on many medications, and brings them with him as many pharmacies do not routinely stock them. The first night he took his own meds, and when we were in the ER and on the 5th floor told he told the nurses, as did I, what his medications were. They explained that he needed to take the hospital meds as otherwise it was Medicare fraud on the hospital’s part. (I still have not verified this.) We acknowledged that, and with the possible exception of the immunosuppressive drugs, agreed to do that. We have been told by the top transplant center that immunosuppressive drugs must be consistent including brand to maintain a transplanted kidney properly. Bill chose to take his own 2 medications for that unless they could come up with those, which they said they would, so then he agreed that he would also take the hospital drugs for those. However, he never did as they could never get the dosages correct.
    Thursday morning. I arrived at the hospital and Bill was a bit upset. He said there was a problem with the medications and he would not take them. He was talking with a nurse named Michelle. (Michelle is one of the best nurses on that floor. She took the time even at the end of her shift to try and straighten out the mess with Bill’s meds. She is kind and caring, and really should be appreciated in that hospital.) I took the medication list that they wanted him to take and began to make corrections. (See next pages.)
    The Nephrologist came to visit in the afternoon/evening and reduced some meds for blood pressure, but wanted to start a beta blocker, Metoprolol, 50mg. However, since cardiology decided, due to the calcium test results, that Bill should have a stress test, he was not to start the Metoprolol until AFTER his stress test. The test was scheduled for Friday morning 9/9, therefore the drug was ordered to start 9/10 per approval from cardiology. (See orders #3). Beta blockers apparently can influence blood flow on a stress test, and that is specifically why the doctor ordered the drug to start AFTER the test.
    Cardiology approved this drug on the same day (see orders). HOWEVER it was dispensed and given to Bill the Thursday night 9/8 BEFORE the order and BEFORE the stress test. (See medication administration report)
    On top of all of these CRITICAL errors, there were minor things that were not taken care of such as Bill having to empty his own urinal numerous times. When the tech would come in several times for vitals or other things, she would never empty it, so he would get out of bed and take it to the bathroom in the middle of the night and do it himself, dizzy and disoriented.
    Thursday night, approximately 8:30 pm. I had left with our 3 young children and was driving home when I received an upset phone call from Bill stating that a woman named Jo had just left his room. She had come in asking for $250 copay for the day…at 8:30 at night as he is ill in bed and resting. Let me just stop a minute and ask, is this typical? Do you take sick patients and hound them for money as they are trying to rest and go to sleep? He is so ill that he has to be hospitalized from the ER; he is dizzy and waiting for an upcoming heart surgery. You are drugging him with the wrong drugs, you are trying to give him the wrong drugs, the wrong dosages, (which if taken could put him in kidney rejection if not make him lose his only kidney,) withholding meds he needs, making him empty his own urinal, sit hungry, unchecked, unmonitored….shall I go on? And then without having even given him any relief or fix anything, have the gall to come and ask him for money?
    Anyway, he told her that he didn’t have his wallet. She told him that HE NEEDED TO COME DOWNSTAIRS TOMORROW AND TAKE CARE OF THIS. Really? Or he could have someone in the family do it, or if he couldn’t, he could call and they would come back up to him. She then left him some papers (see enclosed from registration/financial counceling) that say otherwise.
    He was very upset and I made a phone call and talked with the nurse manager, Laurie/Lori. She sounded like she doubted me at first as no one works at night in that position and she had never heard of such a thing. I asked her to go talk to my husband and told her I was LIVID about the situation. I then instructed her to make sure NO ONE entered his room that was not medical personnel or friends/family. She did go talk to him, and she saw the paper that were left and told him that they would look into it, and did report it on to Neal.
    Friday morning, Neal told Bill he wanted to talk to Bill but never got a chance as he was headed out for his stress test. I arrived at the hospital about 9:30 am Friday and asked to speak to Neal. I told him how unhappy I was with Bill’s treatment on this floor, from the problems with the medications, to the issue with Jo trying to collect money, the time it took to check Bill in when he sat alone, the full urinal issues, the fact that a specialists weren’t even called in for 24 hours. I then told him that when Bill was hospitalized here in May, Hillcrest wouldn’t let him have his own doctors treat him, which he then had to use the doctors Hillcrest wanted him to use (hospital staff). This time Hillcrest didn’t have a choice as WE notified his doctors ourselves. He asked what floor Bill was on last time and turns out he was on the same floor. I told him that I would be going to administration with my concerns, but wanted to follow the chain of command, and gave him the respect of letting him know. He then brought a pharmacist named Martin to me to discuss my medication concerns.
    Martin and I discussed all of the concerns I had with Bill’s medications, and confirmed to me that yes indeed he was dosed incorrectly, explaining to me that when the order for Metoprolol was given, that the approval form cardiology was sent later. When that approval came through they have no way of looking back at the original order, therefore they just dispense the meds??? Then if the nurse doesn’t check the orders in the book too as a double check it is given to the patient. WOW, what a system you have going here. Amazing with all the technology we have available today that something so simple can fall through like this.
    I took all of my documentation downstairs to the administration office to talk to them. I spoke with a lovely woman named Marcia. She told me that the person I needed to talk to was Kay, who happened to be in a meeting until 11 am. She was appalled about what was going on and asked if I had talked to Neal. I told her that I had, and that he knew I was coming here. She told me that Kay would call me, but would most likely just show up in my husband’s room to discuss this in person. I waited, and waited, and waited. At 1 pm Marcia called me on my cell phone and let me know that Kay wasn’t able to be there yet, but she would be coming. Bill was now backing from his stress test. We waited, and waited, and waited. Neal came in and told us that HE had spoken with Kay. Hmmm she had time to meet or speak with him, but not us? Makes me wonder who else she had time to meet and speak with. We waited, and waited, and waited.
    Bill’s stress test came back with no blockages, which is truly amazing as he had mild blockages about 10 years ago on a heart catheter. Then all of a sudden cardiologist, staff doctors, I would say about 3 or 4 doctors showed up at the same time around maybe 4 pm, and came in the room one after another almost back to back, and talked to Bill asking how he was feeling, and basically “cleared him” to go home. They then were gone. The Nurse (Bewer) had the discharge paperwork ready in no time, minutes. In May we had to call a case manager after a few hours to get him discharged. She (the nurse) came in and Bill signed the papers. She couldn’t find anyone to take him down to the car in the hurry she seemed to be in, so they were trying to get a wheelchair so the nurses could take him down themselves. While they were doing that I had to go find her and ask her if they had any prescriptions or orders for him as he was not given any of those things. She went and looked in a file. She found a lab slip with orders for an INR test. His discharge papers state to have a cyclosporine level done on 9/12. (We never did get an order for that one.) She then had to make a call to the doctor for the medication prescriptions. She came back and said, “We will just have to call that in for you, what pharmacy do you use?” It seemed very chaotic and disorganized. I will say that we felt that the majority of the nurses were very nice and caring. Please know that. We do not feel that the majority of the problems that were had were NOT due to poor nursing abilities. This is a hospital wide issue.
    When he got home, just as I expected, Bill had a dizzy spell just getting out of the car, and had to lean on the car for a few seconds before he could even enter the house. Basically what happened in the hospital was that they hydrated him with fluids and took away his blood pressure medications, and laid him in a bed. He did ok for a day or two. By Sunday he started feeling poor. By Monday his blood pressure was 170/92. With ANY activity such as walking more than 10 feet his blood pressure went to 220/100 with chest pounding, and a pulse of about 120. So was he really treated, or was he given a Band-Aid and pushed out the door because we were complaining and found some dirty little secrets?
    Upon Bill’s visit to a lab in Owasso for his follow up INR, the lab tech who took his blood asked him about his stay in Hillcrest. He briefly told her about his disappointment and a few of the issues. She replied by saying her mother was there after having a stroke, and they were having some of the same issues. When she couldn’t be there with her, she made sure someone else was at all times. This shows us that these issues are not limited to just Bill’s stay(s). There is a definite problem within this Hospital. As I walked up and down the halls to get to his room, I prayed for the other patients in that hospital. I they asked God to watch over them, I wondered. I wondered if their families knew. I wondered if they had families. Who was watching out for them? Who was checking to see what meds they were or were not getting, or how much of them they were getting? Were they being harassed for money and feeling like they had to pay to receive service too? How many didn’t make it home, or lost their transplanted organs due to wrong dosages of their immunosuppressive drugs? This is truly a tragedy.
    And we are still waiting to hear from Kay.
    But that is ok, because we are now going up the chain. Maybe someone there will listen.

    Very Sincerely,

    Jodi Bradford,
    Wife on behalf of Bill Bradford

    We received an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) from Humana Medicare for the Hospital stay on “5 Tower” in September. We were puzzled.
    You see, after being discharged and having such numerous problems we immediately requested a detailed billing of both that visit and the visit to your facility in May.
    There are some discrepancies we would like to bring to your attention and ask you about. Please refer to the attached EOB and the detailed bill you provided to us.
    Under Room and Board.
    • Bill was hospitalized 9/7-9/9 and was charged for 2 nights. I don’t know what constitutes a “day”, but wanted to point that out.
    Under Drugs
    • 9/7 Bill did not take any regular meds other than his own with the exception of IV meds and Potassium. A credit of $22.00 is due.
    • 9/8-9/9 Meds were not corrected this day until the evening of 9/8, and then some were still wrong. Bill took MOST of his own meds still with some exceptions, also he took Metoprolol, however, at the least, we should not be billed for this as it was given without proper orders. I see that it was billed as it was given twice? Apparently it was given AGAIN after I notified the staff that he wasn’t supposed to have had it the first time as it was to begin on 9/10 and he was discharged 9/9? A credit is due of $196.25. Also he was not billed for other drugs that he did take.
    Under Supplies, Med/Sur General Class
    • 9/7 Bill did not have a Nasal Cannula. A credit is due of $30.50
    • 9/7-9/9 Bill was never administered oxygen. A credit is due of $913.50
    At this point we have no way of verifying labs and X-ray.

    Total Credits Requested for Medicare for September…..……………………………………………………………………..$ 1,162.25*
    *Note: When Bill was hospitalized starting May 31, he was also overcharged for items Oxygen per day and CPAP. He used his own CPAP that he brought with him, and once again did not require nor use oxygen. I requesting that you review that billing and that you issue credit for the amount below, along with any other Medicare (and other) patients that you have wrongly charged for this service (oxygen) and any other service, as this has been brought to the attention of Medicare (Tina Liddell) and this entire file is also being forwarded to Medicare and Humana and the State Inspector General, due to the fact that this appears to be a possible fraudulent billing practice.
    Total Credits Requested for Medicare for May-June……………………………………………………………………….…..$ 2,185.50
    Customer Service Follow-up

    10:45 am 9/13/11
    Hillcrest Medical Center
    Phone Call from Nancy, Customer Service

    Briefly told Nancy some of the issues we had while Bill was in the hospital on 5th floor in September.
    She said she would be submitting a report. I told her we would also be submitting a report.
    Original Medication Errors

    1. Niacin Dosage should be 1,000mg twice daily for a total of 2,000mg daily.
    Hillcrest dosed him at 500 mgs twice daily for a total of 1,000mg daily.
    This is his only cholesterol treatment as he has severe reactions to all other treatments, i.e. Crestor, etc. It is essential that he receive this treatment.

    2. Sodium Bicarbonate should be 325mg x 4, twice daily for a total of 2,600 mg daily.
    Hillcrest dosed him at 325mg x2 twice daily for a total of 1,300 mg daily.
    This is essential as Bill is having trouble retaining fluids. In fact this is part of why he was admitted. To cut this medicine in half is to aid in his dehydration.

    3. Cellcept should be 500mg x 2, twice daily for a total of 2,000 mg
    Hillcrest dosed him at 500mg x1, twice daily for a total of 1,000 mg
    This medicine is critical as it is one of his anti-rejection immunosuppressive drugs to ensure he does not go into rejection for his transplanted kidney.

    4. Cyclosporine should be 25mg x 4 twice daily for a total of 200mg
    Hillcrest dosed him at 100mg every morning and 75mg every evening for a total of 175mg
    This medicine is critical as it is one of his anti-rejection immunosuppressive drugs to ensure he does not go into rejection for his transplanted kidney.

    5. Aspirin is NOT part of his medicines. In fact he is on Warfarin. In addition we notified staff that his INR was 3.6 per a doctor call while we were in ER, which is well above Bill’s therapeutic level, around 2.0-2.5. Due to Hillcrest labs he was too thin to take Warfarin, yet was still being asked to take Aspirin, and it would not be removed from his med list. Aspirin was REFUSED during stay.

    6. Risperidone should be 0.5mg daily
    Hillcrest dosed him at 1mg daily.
    This medication’s side effects can cause drowsiness and dizziness. To double his medication while he is already having dizzy spells could not only cause an accident, it could mask the symptoms of what is really causing the problem that needs to be addressed.

    7. Finasteride dosage should be 5mg per day
    Hillcrest failed to dose this medication at all.
    This medication is used to treat enlarged prostate and to aid in urination.

    8. Doxazosin dosage was 8mg per day
    Hillcrest failed to dose this medication originally. Upon consult with Nephrology, this medication was dosed with a decrease to 2mg per day.
    This medication is also a prostate medication to aid in urination.

    9. Warfarin dosage should have been 5mg x 5 days a week, 7.5 mg x 2 days a week
    Hillcrest dosage was 5 mg daily. However, all Warfarin was being refused and then held due to call Bill received from doctor while in ER that he was to “thin”. And then tests done at Hillcrest. Regardless, this was an error.

    Bill takes 17 medications. As you can see there are 9 very dangerous errors made. All of these medications were going to be given to him as stated above. (see Med Profile 9/8/11 16:17 Pages 1 & 2)

  5. Jodi ~ wow …..thanks for sharing what you and Bill have been going through. Interesting that it was with the same place. In the past I have dealt with Baily and have had “kind” care. That’s where I will go for my future follow ups. That’s crazy stuff that you dealt with and I cannot help but wonder if or how they responded to you. I am also contacting them. If not for me, for future “me’s”. How is Bill doing now?

  6. Jeannette Wynne says:

    It is so very sad that you had to experience this lack of humane treatment from “professionals.” I would certainly follow-up with a strong letter to the board of this establishment – even a “letter to the editor” of the local paper may be in order. No excuse for bad behavior – even if they are having a bad day! I have been blessed so many times by the opposite experience and am very thankful for that. One of the most remarkable experiences was when I was helping my sister through a rough experience – her husband had been diagnosed with cancer. He was being treated at “City of Hope” hospital near Los Angeles. What an amazing place! After hanging around there for a month, I got to see first hand the definition of kind and gracious treatment.Their employees are incredible – even the volunteers were amazing. Maybe more medical places need to take a cue from them on training/education for their employees.
    I pray your next experiences are filled with kinder and gentler people:)

    • Thanks Jeannette ~Two other hospitals in the Tulsa area were great….So I know there are good ones out there. City of Hope sounds amazing AND that’s the way it should be! I am definately following up with a letter to the board, etc. Thanks for your kind words! ♥

  7. Whether you want it or not, Oh no! I am so sorry for what you are going through and for your treatment.
    You are right, there is no need for that kind of people in the medical profession. I thank God for my daughter, who is in my opinion one of the best nurses around. And that is not just because she is my daughter. In fact, she is harder on me than her regular patients, except when I had pneumonia and she slept in my room at the hospital and made sure I had round the clock care.
    She is compassionate, kind, caring and really knows her stuff. She cries with and prays for her patients. And she is an angel.
    I also agree, “coming back in 6 months” is not reassuring. What are you supposed to do for those six months – imagine the worse? Because no matter how much you try, you are not just going to forget about it.
    I will keep you in my prayers, my sister in writing arms, that the original assessment is correct. And may I suggest the Women’s health center in Norman; they are really good and caring. My doc is the best!
    Love you, and thanks for sharing.

    • You crack me up, Darla….thanks for the “oh-no’s”, regardless! 😉 I can see Micah being compassionate and awesome at caring for people. I’m so proud of her! I will be good, but I do appreciate your sweet words and your prayers ♥

  8. What you went through is terrible… I am so sorry that they are making you wait to get an concrete answers… I’ve had my own issues in the medical field and I know how frustrating it can all be… I do know you have to be your own advocate for your health because you can’t count on the medical community to do it for you …I often feel I’m talking to a wall… it’s frustrating when no one cares whose suppose to….


    • You are soooo right about being your own advocate, Carri! I am going back to this place to pick up my film to take to my original place. Then we are done there! But for those that are not….I still have to bring it to the attention of the board/staff….to try and make it better ~ ♥

  9. I am sorry you had to deal with this. I know what it is to hear we will recheck in 6 months, every month you are thinking… wow only 5, 4, etc I get to hear an answer. Yes you pray for the negative result. Waiting on results is the hardest thing to deal with in any kind medical problem. Will be praying for you girl..

    Now on to the rude people…….. GRRRRRRRRRRR… I worked in the medical field for many years.I never understood how some people could be so rude and cold. Nobody goes into a medical facility for a party, you are there either because you are sick or you have some kind of concern for your health. I always felt that it did not take that much to speak and smile when you saw a patient. I worked hospitals and clinics, so no matter if I was just passing a patient or visitor in the hall I made sure to speak and smile. Many years I carried a tray around with blood drawing supplies in it. Yes I was a phlebotomist. Nothing upset me more than a parent telling a child “if you are not good, I will have that lady take your blood” I would always take a second and tell that child NO I WILL NOT TAKE YOUR BLOOD IF YOU ARE NOT GOOD. I am here to help the Dr. to find out what is wrong with the sick people and I have to take their blood to help them find out. So never be afraid if you have to have your blood drawn that person is here to help you not hurt you….. and of course I would tell the parent in a very nice way, that I did not like to hear a child be threatened by a medical staff or police officer because they are there for helping not hurting. …. ok now back to the rude people….. Being the outspoken person I am I would often tell my co-workers.. if I thought they were being rude or unfriendly. Most appreciated me telling them, but of course there were those that just weren’t happy and needed to work in a hole …..where they could dig and claw all day. Customer service or patient service is important. in all locations of a medical facility. Need to see that cheerful person as you walk in the door and one the last person you see as you leave. NOT SAYING THEY HAVE TO OVER DO IT….. BUT SMILE AND AT LEAST HAVE SOME COMPASSION .
    Later on I worked in the clerical part of the medical field. I always made a point to have a smile in my voice when I answered the phone. Taking an extra second to listen to a person and let them know you care never hurt . If there was a question on bill, help them to understand why it was charged the way it was or if it was correct. We all make mistakes and they can be amended. If the person was upset about something work with them in a good mood and all works out for the best was my way of thinking.

    Yes I have had my share of rude to me medical staffers over the past few years, but I remember that I was NOT one of them and some people just can’t be pleasant to anyone and that person must be one of those…… and THANK GOD I AM NOT THAT WAY………

  10. So many great points here, Kathy! The parental responsibility is a such a good reminder for adults! And to hear the medical side of it from you shows that like any and all professions, you have naysayers that don’t give a rip and need to be “placed” elsewhere! And then you have the awesome ones that were destined to be in healthcare. I love your last statement….”THANK GOD I AM NOT THAT WAY”! Amen to that! ♥ Thanks so much for your insight! ~ paula

  11. HiKath says:

    On a plus side.. one hospital did send a bouquest of flowers to my home after I contacted the patient advocates office to share my bad experience with them during that short stay.

  12. renae says:

    good job….glad you posted……someone will notice, and then change can begin.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s